A case study published in the NEJM details the injuries suffered by a 13-year-old boy after an e-cigarette exploded in his mouth, Gizmodo reports. The teen suffered a cracked jaw and lost multiple teeth in what physicians say was similar to a blast injury.

“The vape blew up his lower jaw causing a major fracture and bone loss,” said Katie Russell, a pediatric trauma surgeon who treated the boy at the University of Utah Health Care and Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City. “He also lost multiple teeth, had a large cut in his mouth, and some lip burns.”

The brand of e-cigarette was not disclosed in the case study, nor was the cause of the explosion.

Read more at www.gizmodo.com