A man in Santa Ana, Calif, sustained burns to his face and one hand when an e-cigarette exploded while he was smoking in bed early Monday, a fire captain said.

The man heard a “humming sounded,” prompting him to pull the e-cigarette away from his mouth before it blew up about 1:45 a.m. in his apartment, said Capt Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority.

“Half of the e-cigarette ended up lodging into the ceiling,” Concialdi said, adding that some folded clothes on his bed caught fire.