The Galien Foundation has announced the 2016 10th Annual Prix Galien USA Award Nominees. The Prix Galien Award is among the health-innovation industry’s most prized honors, recognizing biomedical and technology product achievement associated with improving the human condition. Nominated cutting-edge discoveries hail from laboratories that encompass the world’s most innovative biopharma and medical technology companies focusing on major public-health priorities.
To qualify, each candidate must be US FDA approved for market within the last five years and demonstrate tremendous potential to impact human health. Sales data are not considered by the nominating committee in their award nominee selection; only science and health impact.
“Nominees selected represent the aspirations of biopharmaceutical and medical technology sector scientists to provide for societal health needs,” said P. Roy Vagelos, chairman, Prix Galien USA Awards Committee, and prior recipient of the Pro Bono Humanum Award. “The Prix Galien acknowledges innovators whose life-impacting work can save lives and are a platform for future innovation.”
The nominees include in-market products evaluated in the following categories:
Best Biotechnology Product (Nominees)
- KANUMA – Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- STRENSIQ – Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- IMLYGIC – Amgen Inc.
- REPATHA – Amgen Inc.
- PRAXBIND – Boehringer-Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- NUCALA – GSK
- DARZALEX – Janssen Biotech, Inc.
- CYRAMZA – Lilly USA
- GARDASIL – Merck & Co., Inc.
- COSENTYX – Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- PRALUENT – Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc. with sanofi
- NATPARA – Shire North American Group Inc.
Best Pharmaceutical Agent (Nominees)
- DUOPA – AbbVie Inc.
- TECHNIVIE – AbbVie Inc.
- UPTRAVI – Actelion Pharmaceuticals US, Inc./Nippon Shinyaku Co., Ltd.
- KYBELLA – Allergan Inc.
- DALVANCE – Allergan, Inc.
- VIBERZI – Allergan, Inc.
- CRESEMBA – Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
- TAGRISSO – AstraZeneca
- OFEV – Boehringer-Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- DAKLINZA – Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- BELVIQ – Eisai Inc.
- HALAVEN – Eisai Inc.
- LENVIMA – Eisai Inc.
- ALECENSA – Genentech, a Member of the Roche Group
- AKYNZEO – Helsinn and Eisai Inc.
- VIVLODEX – Iroko Pharmaceuticals, LLC
- YONDELIS – Janssen Products, LP
- TRULICITY – Lilly USA
- BELSOMRA – Merck & Co., Inc.
- BRIDION – Merck & Co., Inc.
- ZERBAXA – Merck & Co., Inc.
- ZONTIVITY – Merck & Co., Inc.
- NINLARO – Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- REXULTI – Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc
- IBRANCE – Pfizer Inc.
- XELJANZ – Pfizer Inc.
“Medical technology is a vital addition to the Prix Galien community,” notes Bruno Cohen, chairman of the Galien Foundation. “From cardiovascular disease to imaging to surgical advances and quality of life improvement, technology is playing a larger role in extending quality life. Prix Galien is proud to evaluate these advances for their health impact.”
Best Medical Technology (Nominees)
- SpyGlass DS™ Direct Visualization System – Boston Scientific Corporation
- WATCHMAN™ Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device – Boston Scientific Corporation
- KBCT 1000 – Koning Corporation
- CardioMEMS TM HF System – Jude Medical
- T2MR Technology/T2Candida Panel/T2Dx Instrument – T2 Biosystems Inc.
- VITEK® MS – bioMerieux
- Precision Spectra™ Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS) System – Boston Scientific Corporation
- SAPIEN 3 Transcatheter Aortic Heart Valve – Edwards Lifesciences Corporation
- Cologuard R – Exact Sciences Corporation
- THERMOCOOL® SMARTTOUCH™ Catheter – Johnson & Johnson/Biosense
- ATTUNE® Knee System – Johnson & Johnson/DePuy
- EVARREST® Fibrin Sealant Patch – Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon
The Prix Galien USA Committee is comprised of nine renowned leaders from the biomedical industry and academia, including four Nobel Laureates, responsible for evaluating nominees. Winners will be announced during the Prix Galien USA Awards Ceremony on October 27, 2016, at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. Registration to attend the 2016 Prix Galien USA Awards Ceremony can be accessed here.