The New York Times reports that an 11-year-old boy died on New Year’s Day after what may have been had a fatal allergic reaction to fish proteins released into the air while his relatives cooked.

The sixth grader, Cameron Jean-Pierre, had asthma and was allergic to fish and peanuts, his father, Steven Jean-Pierre, said on Thursday in an interview with WABC.

Hypersensitivity reactions after the inhalation of food particles are an “increasingly recognized problem in children,” according to a report in the journal Allergy and Asthma Proceedings.

“Usually, respiratory manifestations include rhinoconjunctivitis, coughing, wheezing and asthma, but in some cases even anaphylaxis” — a severe, potentially life-threatening reaction — “has been observed,” the report said.

Get the full story at